5.20.2009

The Evolution of Naps

It would be a huge underestimation to say that naptime is important to me. Some days I live for nap time. I've always been a bit intense about ensuring that my children get a nap- at the same time. However, as my kids grow naptime has evolved...unfortunately. From my experiences, it goes a little something like this:

Newborn:
I bring my beautiful new girl (or boy) home from the hospital. I'm eager to watch their every move. I want to facilitate some type of interaction. I want to gaze into their tiny new eyes. But, all they do is sleep (at least during the day). They just lay there, wrapped in a warm blanket and slumber. A dog can bark, a jet can fly overhead, the phone can ring, the sibling can scream...and there is my newborn child....resting...without interruption. Darn, if only they'd wake up so that we can get to know one another.

Six Months:
Wow, this kid is up a lot more now during the day, and still up every three hours at night. Sheesh, I'm tired, but how fun is it that my child now talks baby talk, sits up, interacts....it is so fun...I'm sure I'll get more sleep tonight.

One Year:
My beautiful and active child takes two long naps each day. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. It's great. Allows me to get some things done. Allows me some rest if I need it. Two breaks a day, not bad.

18 Months:
Shucks, my kid has dropped that lovely morning nap. Well, at least he'll sleep a bit longer this afternoon. But wait, he's crazy tired at like 10am...that's not gonna work. I'll have to keep him awake until at least noon. That's two more hours....perhaps we should go to the park to keep his mind off of sleep. But I can't drive b/c he'll fall asleep in the car....if he sleeps in the car, even for 12 seconds, he'll think that he's napped, and I'll have a grumpy toddler on my hands for the rest of the day!

Two Years:
I'm so tired I think I'm going to cry, or die. This two year old is giving me a run for my money. She is so sassy. She screams a lot. Everything is a battle. Oh, there's only three more hours until nap time. Sweet, sweet nap time. That will buy me enough sanity to make it until bed time. I can do this.

Two-Three:
My three year old is growing out of naps! Good gracious! This cannot be happening to me! Why do I deserve this? Should this be happening already? She wakes up at 6:15am every morning which means she'll be right by my side for .....ug....14 hours until it is bedtime! Don't get me wrong...I love my child....she's gorgeous, she's inquisitive, she's smart, she's caring....she's opinionated, she asks me "why?" about 419 times a day, she's still got that temper tantrum thing going on....
I wish she would sleep like she did when I brought her home from the hospital!


1 comment:

Laureen said...

Looks like they are sleeping a lot!! Tee Hee
Love the pics!

Being Mommy is exhausting and I don't think it really ever stops. There are moments but right when your kids grow up and move out you start menopause and never sleep. Your mind is numb because you can't sleep and you can't form thoughts or words and you can't remember anything. Hum?
Love you forever!

Post a Comment