6.22.2009

Allergic Reaction or Idoit Mother?

Yesterday we went to Disneyland with the kids. It was busy. It was HOT! I overdressed my kids like a crazy person, so we stripped Logan down to his onesie and had to buy Abby a dress because for some reason I only brought pants. Anyhow, each time we go to Disneyland with the kids we are immediately reminded how un-relaxing a theme park is with a three and one year old. Actually, Abigail does great it's Logan who is the handful (shocker)! :)

The little boy doesn't understand the concept of a line. SO he kicks, screams, wiggles, and is generally pretty irritated by the time we actually make it to the ride. He also does not understand that he needs to stay with mommy and daddy or he has to be strapped into the stroller. Being strapped into anything is just not Logan's thing. So, the day involved a whole lots of "Logan stay with mommy!" "Logan come here" "No Logan" etc.

Another strange thing about my son is that he'll go to anyone. At one point during the day we stopped to sit over at California Adventure. John and Abby enjoyed a shady table, and I let Logan free--and walked closely behind him while he explored. I learned that my boy is a flirt. He would walk up to a person and bat his eyelashes and then lay down on the ground and look up at the person with a big grin. Too funny to watch! At one point he walked up to a couple who were sitting on a bench, he waked straight to the man and started to climb up the man's backpack in an effort to get on the strange man's lap!! The couple were just cracking up and this brave little boy of mine. I grabbed Logan before he could steal the man's straw (which is what I think he was going for) and apologized.

Disneyland with children is a MUCH different experience than Disneyland with gown ups. We were there for about 6 hours and we went on five rides. Logan and I sat out on most of the rides, so it was a day for Abby and her Daddy--fitting for Father's Day.

At one point during the day we were sitting at a table and I looked down and Logan and he appeared to be really sunburned on his head and arms. I freaked out! If you know me, than you know that I'm a bit overboard for sunscreen...I always have a bottle in my bag. He poor little head looked fried! I quickly got out my sun screen and began to dump it on his head...you see it was his scalp that looked bad. So I had to drench his hair in order to get to his scalp. By the end he looked greasy, but by golly his little head was protected!

Fast forward about an hour and this is where the scary part begins. Now Logan is sick with a cold, but he's such a trooper that we decided to go to Disneyland anyhow. But, all of a sudden I look at Logan and his eyes are red and purple and he's having a hard time keeping them open, he has begun to break out in a rash, he's screaming and really fussy and won't calm down. John and I decide it's time to go. On the way back to the car--a LONG walk--Logan looks as if he's going to pass out and his poor eyes look awful!!! I was really freaking out!! I almost pushed the "emergency" button in the parking garage so that the security people could call 911! (seems a little crazy now) I was praying fervent prayers over my son as we made our way to the car. I thought he was having an allergic reaction to the medicine I had given him an hour prior. We decided to continue the drive home. THe whole time I sat backwards keeping an eye on our little man, making sure that his chest was moving with the rhythm of breathing. We made it home and I took Logan into the shower. I thought it would make him feel better and clean off all the Disneyland sticky-ness.

OH my gosh! The boy had sooooo much sunscreen in his hair that I had to wash his head 3 times with shampoo to get it all out! IT was then that I realized the my poor baby had sunscreen in his eyes which is why he had purple eyes and was screaming with pain!!! Like duh!!! After the shower Logan's mysterious allergic reaction was gone, and our rambunctious guy was back. And I was thankful.

Oh, and he was never sunburned...we were just sitting under a red umbrella so it made everything look sunburned!

1 comment:

Tundra Mom said...

That's so funny... and sad. I have done that to Weston before. His head always looks red through his white hair. I have slathered him, and he gets mad. Then it gets in his eyes and I feel so bad.

I'm glad he's ok and that he's back to normal.

Blast that red umbrella!! :)

Post a Comment