1.02.2010

New Year and a New Health Focus


A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with Endometriosis. It is a common disease where the tissue from the uterus begins growing in other parts of the body. In a nutshell--I think my hormones are really screwed up. This began the month after I stopped nursing Logan. Prior to that, I was either pregnant or nursing for four years. It is odd how hard having a child is on a woman's body. Not just the birth itself, but the long terms effects that it can have on woman's body for years to come.
I've been doing a bunch of research to see how nurition and supplements can positivly effect this disease. It is amazing how much food affects our bodys. I've learned a bunch of stuff....here's a bit of what I found interesting. (Becca remember our conspiracy theray chat...seems we were on to something)

  • Estrogen’s natural function is to stimulate cell growth. But excess estrogen contributes to unnatural growth. We know that American women have the highest levels of estrogen in the world. We believe that most of that excess comes from so-called xenoestrogens, compounds whose molecular structure is so similar to estrogen that they have estrogenic effects in the body. These compounds include the growth hormones common in milk and meat production, agricultural pesticides, the chemicals given off by plastics when heated in microwaves, and many other sources. Not surprisingly, for most of us such xenoestrogens are pervasive.
Here's a bit of what I've been learning about a holistic approach for this problem:
  • Diet for endometriosis

    • Change your diet to minimize xenoestrogen exposure. As much as you can, eliminate non-organic dairy products, beef and chicken. (Note that because organic foods contain no added growth hormones, there’s no reason to limit their consumption.)

    • Increase nutrient-rich foods, especially cruciferous vegetables, soy, cold-water fish and fiber, all of which support hormonal balance and help clear excess estrogen from the body.

    • Follow a whole foods diet, being mindful of carbohydrates, to support healthy insulin metabolism and thereby support overall hormonal balance. This includes limiting alcohol intake.

  • Maintain healthy levels of body fat to limit endogenous estrogen production. Body fat is a secondary production site for estrogen, so excess weight often means excess estrogen.
  • Supplement with vitamins and minerals to make up for what is lacking in your daily food intake, including calcium and magnesium.
  • Supplement with phytotherapy to gently normalize hormone levels.
  • Supplement with omega–3 essential fatty acids as a natural anti-inflammatory.
  • Minimize exposure to xenoestrogens in your environment. Don’t microwave food in plastic wrap or containers, and try to minimize the use of plastics for food storage. Read our article on endocrine disruptors for more information.
I have read a bunch of sources that also recommend the importance of following a wheat free, sugar free, diary free diet. WHEEW!!! That is one heck of a change....basically:
  • No red meat
  • No chicken
  • No dairy
  • No wheat (which is in everything!!!)
  • No simple carbs
  • Very limited sugar

Wow...

I've ordered a book which covers all that I'll need to know. So as I enter into 2010, looks like my diet will be changing a bit. We'll see! Isn't it amazing how the Lord designed his food to be so good for us--and actually heal us?

Wish me luck...

4 comments:

Laureen said...

I'm hoping and praying that your journey of healthy eating will make you all better and it will be a great blessing for John and Abby and Logan. healthy food can really make a difference.
Love you

Tundra Mom said...

Hey, I'm wishing you luck!!

I love you and miss you! I hope you feel better soon-- conspiracy- we knew it!

Fresh N Easy has hormone free (I think) milk, cheese and eggs.

You know what's NOT on the NOT to eat list?
BEANS, BEANS, BEANS!

To many people, that would not be a comfort, but to US! Ahhh gold! They are the super food. An ode to the bean!

I can teach you to make your own, so you're sure there are no additives. Freeze them in jars--- no endo interrupters!

Those canning jars at the super market will be as easy as tupperwear to wash- in the dishwasher.

Make tortillas without wheat!? Sure you can do that. Maybe a tortilla maker is in order! I can mail you a bunch of whole grain barley or buckwheat tortillas! Do they sell those anywhere?

If so, you're in luck- bean burritos.

I love you, sorry to go on and on. I love you, love you, love you! I wish I was there to help.

amyeneal said...

Shauna, I'm so sorry to hear about your endo... but its so cool to see you being proactive about it! I get excited looking at pictures of all your healthy foods. I know, lame. But its just so amazing how good you feel when you put good stuff in your body - and like you said, even more amazing to know that God created it for us with such a purpose (in its complete state). Anyways, I'm not perfect with eating, but I do love to shop at Sprouts. I've found they have some of the best prices on whole foods! I think its the same as Henry's in California. If you can find one close, its def worth checking out! I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Shauna said...

Thanks for the tip Amy...there is a Sprouts a few blocks from our house. I'll have to go check it out! I usually shop at Trader's, but I'll def. do a little price comparison!

By the way, your new little on is so precious! Congrats!

Post a Comment